The Merchant is an NPC that will move in when a player has at least 50 Silver in their inventory. He sells the player tools and ammo, and is very useful in the early game. Some of the most useful items he sells are the Anvil, Torch, Piggy Bank and Safe.
- The player has at least 50 Silver. In multiplayer worlds, the Merchant will spawn in if the players have a combined wealth of 50 Silver.
- There is at least one empty house in the World.
|Likes||Forest||Princess, Golfer, Nurse|
Note, the prices may change based on his happiness.
|Mining Helmet||4 Gold||Always||Provides light when worn.|
|Piggy Bank||1 Gold||Always||Provides a safe space to store coins and other things. Items placed in the Piggy Bank do not drop on death.|
|Iron Anvil||50 Silver||Always||Lets the player craft with metals.|
|Bug Net||25 Silver||Always||Allows the player to catch critters.|
|Copper Pickaxe||5 Silver||Always||–|
|Copper Axe||4 Silver||Always||–|
|Torch||50 Copper||Always||Provides light. Considered a light source.|
|Lesser Healing Potion||3 Silver||Always||Restores 50 Health.|
|Lesser Mana Potion||1 Silver||Always||Restores 50 Mana|
|Wooden Arrow||5 Copper||Always||Arrow that deals 5 damage.|
|Shuriken||15 Copper||Always||Throwable that deals 10 damage.|
|Rope||10 Copper||Always||Allows the player to ascend to higher places.|
|Marshmallow||1 Silver||In Snow Biome||Can be turned into the Marshmallow On Stick at a campfire, which provides the Well Fed buff.|
|Furnace||3 Silver||In Jungle Biome||Allows players to smelt ores, and craft other special blocks like bricks.|
|Pin Wheel||20 Silver||On a Windy Day||–|
|Throwing Knife||50 Copper||During Blood Moon||Throwable that deals 12 damage.|
|Glowstick||10 Copper||At night||Provides light when thrown. Works underwater. Does not count as a light source.|
|Sharpening Station||10 Gold||Hardmode||Applies the Sharpened buff which provides players with better armor penetration on melee weapons.|
|Pylon||10 Gold||When Happy enough||Allows the player to teleport from one Pylon to another.|
|Safe||20 Gold||After Skeletron has been defeated||Provides a safe space to store coins and other things. Items placed in the Piggy Bank do not drop on death.|
|Disco Ball||1 Gold||Hardmode||–|
|Flare||7 Copper||When the player has a Flare Gun||Ammo for the Flare Gun.|
|Blue Flare||7 Copper||When the player has a Flare Gun||Ammo for the Flare Gun.|
|Sickle||60 Silver||Always||Produces Hay blocks when cutting tall grass|
|Gold Dust||17 Silver||After the WoF has been defeated||Crafting Material.|
|Drumset||10 Gold||When either the Eater of Worlds, Brain of Cthulhu, Skeletron or WoF has been defeated.||–|
|Drumstick||50 Silver||When either the EoW, BoC, Skeletron or WoF has been defeated.||–|
Notes and Lore
- The Piggy Banks and Safes he sells allow the player to safely store coins and items. They prevent items dropping upon death, which is especially useful on Mediumcore Characters and players in Expert and Master Mode worlds.
- The Merchant can be seen in the paintings “The Merchant” and “Father of Someone”. He seems to have a Son or Daughter.
- The Merchant says “I feel like an evil presence is watching me” when the Eye of Cthulhu Spawn requirements are met.
The Merchant acts as a simple general store of sorts, providing useful starter tools and supplies needed for exploration.
He has a 1 Star rarity rating.
How do you attract the Merchant in Terraria?
- To attract the Merchant, you need a total of 50 Silver in your inventory.
How many Merchants are there in Terraria?
- There are 3 different Merchants in Terraria: The Normal Merchant, Travelling Merchant and Skeleton Merchant.
Why is the Merchant not selling a Pylon?
- The Merchant only sells a Pylon when he’s happy enough. It is recommended to house him near the Golfer or Nurse, as he likes those NPCs.