Terraria Rod of Discord is a cool item that you can acquire from Chaos Elementals. It allows the player to teleport around, but it also leaves a powerful Chaos State debuff if you overdo it. This prevents teleport spamming and potential exploits.
The item can be powerful if used correctly. Most importantly, it can save you a lot of hassle in deep earth layers and certain dungeons.
How does Terraria Rod of Discord work?
Here are the item’s base stats:
|Sell price||10 gold|
|Research||1 item necessary|
The Rod of Discord in Terraria is a pretty straightforward item. You can use it to teleport to a specific location with a right click. It’s worth noting that the end location should be at least three tiles high and two tiles wide. In other words, it should be big enough for the character. If you’re on a mount, the location should be big enough to allow both of you to teleport.
One of the tool’s notable features is the Chaos State debuff. Basically, whenever you teleport, you experience this effect for six seconds. If you use Rod of Discord again under Chaos State, your character suffers 1/7 of the maximum health. The feature is crucial for preventing crazy teleporting around.
The Chaos State damage will eventually kill the character if you overdo it. It’s also worth noting that you cannot block the damage with equipment or spells. The tool doesn’t require any mana or ammunition to use.
How to acquire the Rod of Discord in Terraria?
As it usually goes with awesome Terraria items, Rod of Discord is hard to acquire. It only drops from Chaos Elementals at a rate of 1 to 500 (0.2%). So, you’d have to kill a lot of these guys to acquire it. It’ll likely take numerous runs to get it – that’s if you ever get it.
To make matters worse, the enemy is only available on Hardmode and appears in the Cavern biome, on Pearlsand, Pearlstone, and Pink Ice Blocks. So, while the enemy is not classified as rare, the fact it appears in limited places makes it difficult to acquire.
As if that’s not enough, the enemy teleports around, making things even harder in tight underground spaces. Ideally, you should mine out a large area within the Cavern biome and surround the edges with Pearlsand, Pearlstone, and Pink Ice Blocks. After that, use Battle Potion to increase the enemy spawn rate.
There are also a few other tricks you can use, such as creating Lava Trap to automate the process. Even with all this terrain preparation, you’ll have to wait for a while until one of the enemies drops Rod of Discord.
Terraria Rod of Discord trivia
Rod of Discord has an interesting concept. So, it shouldn’t be a big surprise there’s a lot of trivia surrounding the item:
- Although one of the rarest items in the game, you can hypothetically get it at the start of Hardmode.
- If you learn how to use it, Rod of Discord can become a valuable tool against bosses, but also for maneuvering the map.
- You can use the item to avoid fall damage.
- When using the rod, your movement speed does not change. This makes it great for long-distance running as it allows you to circumvent any obstacle along the way.
- The item is one of the rare non-weapons that you can place on the Weapon Rack.
- Using the tool doesn’t cancel invisibility effects.
- Equipping items such as Binoculars makes it easier to use Rod of Discord.
- When you die from the Chaos State effect, you get a unique death message.